The most common question I receive in regards to baking is, “where can I find alcohol free vanilla?” And there are a few options, one of which is LorAnn Oils. I was delighted to learn about LorAnn Oils alcohol free vanilla extract. I have been using this product in my baking over the past six weeks and have loved it in the following preparations: chocolate chip cookies, brownies, buttercream, overnight oats, pastry cream, creampuffs and this ashta!
Did I mention LorAnn Oils is a Michigan company? Yay! The vanilla is also very warm.
This recipe was first created at my bakery, butter bear shop, alongside our pastry chef, Patty. Some of our favorite recipes. This recipe is modified and makes about 24 cream puffs.
For those not familiar, Ashta is a levantine cultured cream, that is thick and flavored with rose water. Traditionally it is made by boiling milk, skimming off the top and repeating over and over. This is not a traditional preparation but one that is quick and delicious 🙂
Ashta Filled Cream Puffs
For the Pastry
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon LorAnn Oils Alcohol Free Vanilla
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs room temperature
For the Ashta Filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup ricotta cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon LorAnn Oils Alcohol-Free Vanilla
- 2 teaspoons rose water
- 1/4 cup crushed pistachio
- 1 teaspoon rose petals
For the Pastry
- For Pastry:Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper. In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup milk, butter, vanilla, sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring just to a boil over medium heat then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup flour all at once with a wooden spoon.Once flour is incorporated, place back over medium heat stirring constantly for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to release extra moisture and partially cook flour. A thin film will form on the bottom of the pan and dough will come together into a smooth ball.Transfer dough to a large mixing bowl and beat using an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute to cool mixture slightly. Add 4 eggs, 1 at a time, allowing to fully incorporate between additions. Beat another minute until dough is smooth and forms a ribbon when pulled with wooden spoon.Place dough to a piping bag with a round tip. Pipe 1 ½ inch round circles. To eliminate peaks, use a bit of water on the tops to press the peak down.Bake at 425˚F for 10 minutes in the center of the oven. Without opening oven, reduce temperature to 325˚F and bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden.
For the Ashta
- While the cream puff are baking, cream heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks, using a whisk attachment on mixer. Add ricotta, powdered sugar, vanilla and rose water. Whisk until fluffy and combined. Once Cream puff have cooled, cut in half and pipe ashta filling into the center. Garnish with powdered sugar, crushed Pistachio and rose petals.
This post and recipe are sponsored by LorAnn Oils All content and ideas are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that help support and keep this blog going.
Make this recipe? I’d love to see! Tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate or @AmandasPlate