By impossible cookie, I am of course talking about French Macaroon. Many before have tried to conquer the most elite cookie of our time and have failed this quest. I too, have failed and failed again. There was always something wrong; the color, the shape, no “crown”. But finally, I have created the perfect French Macaroon. The recipe I found was not the Ladure`e recipe, but one found in Food Network Magazine, May 2014 edition. I made some modifications (as I always do). It is important to know your oven. My oven runs very hot and so I always adjust the temperature on recipes.
The recipe is as follows:
Makes 36 cookies, 18 sandwiched macaroons
1 3/4 powdered sugar
1 cup almond flour
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 drops food coloring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 oz softened cream cheese
3 tablespoons blueberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line 3 baking sheets with silicon mats (I used parchment paper for one tray and it was fine).
2. Mix almond flour and confectioners’ sugar in small bowl . Sift mixture thru a fine-mesh sieve. Use a spatula to add in this process. (Yes, it takes a while). Toss whatever does not go thru the sieve.
3. Beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar on medium speed until frothy. Gradually spoon in the sugar and increase mixer speed to medium high. Continue beating until the mixture is stiff and shiny. (Took me 10 minutes total)
4. Carefully fold in the almond flour and sugar mixture into the stiff egg whites. DO NOT STIR. Fold gently together; you want as much air as possible to remain in the egg.
5. Add 2 drops of food coloring and the vanilla extract. Continue to fold until the mixture is smooth and falls off the spatula in a thin, flat ribbon.
6. Prepare a pastry bag with a 1/4 inch round tip (Wilton #12) and fill with batter. Pipe out the cookies on the baking sheet.
7. Let the cookies set for 15 to 60 minutes. The cookies should no longer be sticky… this means they are ready!
8. Bake at 275 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest.
9. Mix together cream cheese and blueberry jam. Spread onto cookie and sandwich together.
10. Enjoy 🙂