Tomorrow is Mother’s Day. A day to celebrate the love and sacrifices that our mothers and motherly figures have given and made for us. A day to make an intentional effort to say ‘Thanks Mom’!
One way to show mom you love her is to make something from scratch. My rose, cardamom pistachio scones are easy to make and done in less than 35 minutes!
Living far from my mom is hard on Mother’s Day. I would love to be able to make a brunch spread with all of her favorite things, like my sisters and I did when we were kids. We would wake up super early and start cooking. We would then rush to her bed and present her with what we made, along with our hand written cards and gifts.
What are your traditions on Mother’s Day?
I love scones as they are moist (when made right), flaky and a perfect addition to any brunch spread. They can be sweet or savory.
I decided to use flavors of my childhood; rose and pistachio to flavor my scones. I used dried rose petals and a bit of rose water to bring a light flavor scent to the scones.
When making scones, you want to be sure to use very cold butter. I cube my butter, than place it in the freezer and then add it to my ingredients. The cold butter create delicious flakey layers in your scones.
You can get edible rose petals here
On to the recipe:
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup milk
- ¼ cup chopped toasted pistachios
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon dried rose petals
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Place flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt into a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers, until the mixture resemebles sand.
- Add in the sugar and mix.
- Add milk, and rose water. Stir with a fork until dough forms. Fold in rose petals and pistachios.
- Form dough into a ball and turn smooth side up.
- Roll into an 8 inch wide disk.
- Cut the circle in half length wise. Then width wise, like a pizza. Repeat until you have 12 2 inch wedges.
- Place scones on parchment paper lined baking sheer.
- Bake about 12 minutes, or until medium brown on top.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
- Place glaze in a ziplock bag, cut a small hole at the end of the bag and drizzle onto the scones.
- Enjoy 🙂
If your mom is near, hug her a bit long, a bit tighter and enjoy the time you have together.
Happy Mother’s Day, Mom! I love you so much <3
And to all the moms out there, thank you for what you do! You rock!